When you think of mushrooms, you might think about them sliced on a pizza or in your favorite food dish. What about when you see them in you lawn? Mushrooms although for most part are harmless can become an unsightly mess in your lawn or yard. In addition another issue with mushrooms is they could be poisonous to children and pets if ingested. Removing the mushrooms as soon as you notice them growing is recommended. You cannot simply pluck the mushroom and have the problem solved. Unlike grass mushrooms are a fungal organism and need to treated as such. You may wonder how to kill mushrooms in lawn?
How To Kill Lawn Mushrooms
Remove the mushrooms from the ground as soon as they are spotted. Mushrooms release spores, then leads to more mushrooms if you leave them too long.
- Mushroom Removal – Do not mow over them because this will scatter the spores all over your lawn and could end up with a bigger problem in the future. Mushrooms release spores to reproduce and could potentially lead to more mushrooms. Dig up the mushroom using a trowel or shovel.
- Mushroom Disposal – Put them into the bag as soon as you pull them out of the ground. This will help prevent the mushrooms from spreading spores across your lawn. Do not dispose of mushrooms into your compost pile. This would release spores back into ground later.
- Apply Fertilizer to Spots – The fertilizer will promote new grass growth and speed up the decomposition that will prevent mushroom growth.
- Spraying Fungicide – You can purchase a fungicide to treat and kill the fungus that started the mushroom growth. Mushrooms sprouts when conditions are ideal, usually when the soil is cool and damp. Fungicides don’t kill mushrooms directly. Using commercial fungicides, such as azoxystrobin or flutolanil, can be used for large outbreaks. These must be applied several times by a professional.
Taking a Proactive Approach
A healthy lawn has less chance to grow mushrooms. Keeping your lawn maintained and mowed regularly keeps your grass trimmed, additionally proper watering will deter fungal growth. The main portion of the fungus lies underground where fungicides can’t reach it. Fungus need excess moisture to grow.