Here at JC’s Landscaping we use a form of aeration called core aeration.
What is Core Aeration?
Why is Core Aeration more effective than Spike Aeration?
Spike aeration punches spikes into your lawn, whereas core aeration pulls out plugs of soil. These holes allow more air, water, and nutrients to get in.
How does the soil get compacted?
Here in the DFW metroplex, our soil is naturally hard and has a build-up of clay. This means your soil is most likely already compacted. When you add everyday foot traffic, pets playing, and heavy rain; your soil becomes even more compacted. Core aeration is a simple way to break up that soil and let your lawn breathe.
Signs that your lawn needs to be aerated:
- Puddles- If your lawn is often muddy or you constantly have puddles, water is not able to pass through the soil and reach the roots.
- It’s Fall or Spring- You want to aerate when your grass is actively growing. Warm season grasses grow when temperatures are between 75-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The growing seasons for cool season grasses are typically fall and spring.
- Discolored or Dry Grass- The build-up of thatch is not allowing water and nutrients to reach the roots.
- Failed Srewdriver Test- Stick a screwdriver in your grass. If you are unable to do so or experience difficulty, your soil is compacted and your lawn needs to be aerated.
Benefits of Core Aeration
- Reduces compacted soil
- Enhances air exchange between soil and atmosphere
- Improved fertilizer uptake
- Stronger turfgrass roots
- Builds tolerance against heat and drought
- Prevents excessive thatch build-up
- Less water runoff and puddling
Check out this article titled, “How Aeration or Seed Slicing Can Benefit Your Lawn,” for more information.
Why should you hire a professional?
Aeration is hard and exhausting work. On top of that, you need to be cautious of sprinkler heads and cable lines. It’s also important to know how deep to perforate the grass. An experienced lawn specialist will know how to tell if your lawn is moist enough to aerate. Aerating a dry lawn can feel impossible.
Our lawn aeration services simply cannot be beat. We are proud to offer exceptional work at an affordable price. Our main goal is to help our customers achieve the lawn of their dreams.