Artificial Turf and Grass
There is a big difference between artificial turf and natural grass, and most people know this. There are people who want to decide which is better for them. This can be a big debate among people and there really is no right answer – it depends on your preferences.
Artificial turf can be easier to take care of, but it could also be more expensive to put down. Grass has more maintenance that needs to be taken care of, but it can be less expensive. Both have their benefits and their disadvantages.
You can get artificial turf in a variety of places, and you can find one near you, like Denver artificial turf products and services.
This article will share with you some of the similarities and differences between artificial turf and natural grass. It will try to help you to make a decision on what to use on your property. You can do more research to find more information about this.
What are the Pros and Cons of Artificial Turf?
- Long-Term Savings – After the initial cost of putting the turf down, there is very little cost for maintenance. You do not have to mow weekly or use any fertilizer. You also do not have to water it or buy any expensive equipment to take care of it.
It will also look better longer because you do not have to do any maintenance. It will not turn brown in the heat and will not get too long during the rainy season. It will stay the same in all types of weather.
- Long Life Expectancy – Artificial turf can last a long time, up to twenty years. The blades will continue to look lifelike and be soft and attractive throughout their lifetime: https://househappy.co.uk/how-long-does-artificial-grass-last/. It will not fade and turn brown like natural grass can.
Even though the weather will change, your turf will not, it will be the same no matter the season. It will look the same as it did when you put it in the ground. The only maintenance that you might need to do is rake up leaves once in a while.
- Better for the Environment – With turf, you do not have to mow weekly, so you save the environment by not having to put chemicals in the air. You also will not have lawn clippings in the landfill because there will not be any. Fertilizers and pesticides are also not necessary because you will not have pests and the turf will not need them.
There are also environmental pros to natural grass, but you still must use fertilizers and pesticides to make your lawn look good in the long term. Natural grass could cause more damage to the environment than it could help.
- The Initial Cost – One of the biggest cons of artificial turf is the initial cost of installation. It can be much more expensive than natural grass, depending on the area that you want to cover. You can call for a consultation to make sure that you know the costs before the installation.
If you just want to cover a small area with turf, you will not have a big expense. Some people like to put it around pools and patios but have natural grass elsewhere. If you choose to do your entire yard, it could be expensive.
- Heat Absorption – Artificial turf will absorb more heat, especially during the heat of the summer. You need to be careful when walking on it during these times because it will be warm. Natural grass has water running through it, so it does not get nearly as hot.
Pros and Cons of Natural Grass
- Looks Good – Natural grass looks very nice when it is maintained properly. The maintenance might be a little more, but it is worth the trouble. It helps to make your residence look homier, as well.
If you put the work into it, your natural lawn will look beautiful. You can prevent brown spots by watering them during the hot season. If you mow regularly during the rainy season, it will also look nicer.
- Air Quality – Natural grass helps with air quality, especially in areas with high pollution. It will help break down the carbon dioxide by trapping it in the blades. It also helps to produce oxygen and the soil will help to break down the pollutants in the air.
- Long-Term Costs – The biggest con for natural grass is the cost of long-term care. If you want your lawn to look nice you must mow it and trim it at least once a week, if not more. You also must buy pesticides and fertilizer, which can get expensive in just a short while.
It can become even more expensive if you hire a landscape company to do the work for you. It may look nicer, but you will pay more for it. That is why many people choose to do it themselves.
- Can Become an Eyesore – If the lawn is not maintained properly, it can get long and unruly. It can become brown in the heat and can grow too long and begin to look shaggy in the rainy season.
There are ways to prevent it from becoming an eyesore that were listed above. Mowing regularly and watering your lawn will make a big difference. You also need to use a weed eater in those more difficult-to-reach places.
The debate about which is better between natural grass and artificial turf can go on for a long time. Personal preferences are different for everyone, and cost has a lot to do with the debate. The looks of each make a big difference, too.
Artificial turf takes less maintenance than natural grass, but natural grass is less expensive. Natural grass looks better than turf, but it takes longer for maintenance. There are pros and cons for each, and it is a personal decision for you to make.
The best way to decide is to talk to a sales consultant or landscaper, or both. They can help you with knowing the costs and other pertinent information.